Beware of the Green Paste

Posted: March 11th, 2009 under food.
Tags: , ,

We just returned from a trip to Florida where we had the opportunity to visit Brent’s family. One night we ate at Richard’s (Brent’s dad’s) favorite restaurant to celebrate his birthday. Texas de Brazil featured an impressive assortment of various meats which the “carvers” presented to us on skewers throughout the meal. I’m not a meat person, but I have to admit the samplings of lamb, pork, beef, and chicken were all quite delectable.Wasabi

We were also treated to an impressive salad bar with all manner of unique culinary delights. I was determined to select primarily those items with which I was unfamiliar. I noticed a greenish concoction which was placed next to some pickled ginger. A sign read: Wasabi. “Why not?” I thought. At the table I sampled a spoonful and immediately regretted it. When I hear the phrase “flames coming out your ears,” I now understand the feeling. I tried hard not to make a scene, although my eyes were watering and my nose was running. Brent’s younger brother Michael noticed my discomfort and advised me (too late) that Wasabi is something to be consumed in very small quantities, and not by itself. Thanks, Mike! And now a warning to my readers: Beware of the green paste.

12 Comments »

1. It looks like snot. You should have stuck with the smoked salmon, fresh mozzarella and grilled shrimp.

Comment by brentdanley — March 11, 2009 @ 9:32 pm

2. Hahahahaaa!!! I love the stuff….but I was warned first, so maybe thats why I was able to be careful and appreciate its flavour.

It’s awesome with chocolate!! No, really!! xx

Comment by Maddy — March 16, 2009 @ 1:44 pm

3. That stuff is gross! I’ve had it and wouldn’t recommend anyone eating that garbage. A little late to know now, I know. :)

Comment by Jason Gendron — March 18, 2009 @ 2:05 pm

4. @Brent: I think you’re right. And yes, I could have been happy with just the shrimp (and mushrooms)!

@Maddy: You’re lucky you were warned. Ha ha! I do love chocolate…but I can’t see liking it with Wasabi. ;-P

@Jason: Thanks for the belated warning. I see we’re on the same page. :-)

Comment by Kirsten Uhler — March 18, 2009 @ 4:57 pm

5. I eat there about every 6 months at the one in Fort Worth, Tx. I love the Wasabi… in moderation. On my second visit I took about a tablespoon of it. I forgot it was on my plate and while conversing I ate the whole thing at once. I will never touch the stuff again. It was intense, immediate pain. There was nothing I could do to get it to go away. On a good note, my sinuses were clear. :D

Comment by Rob Bell — March 19, 2009 @ 9:24 am

6. @Rob, I’m so sorry! LOL. Yes, it definitely does clear the sinuses.

Comment by Kirsten Uhler — March 19, 2009 @ 9:33 am

7. Oh my word!! I took in about a microgram too much once, and THAT was bad enough!

Cleared your sinuses?? Have you checked that they are actually still there?

Comment by Maddy — March 19, 2009 @ 10:04 am

8. @Rob – Loved your comment. Made me laugh. Texas de Brazil is a nice place. I guess there are a few things good about Texas. :)

Did you serve your mission in Brazil?

Comment by brentdanley — March 19, 2009 @ 10:24 am

9. You ate a SPOONFUL of wasabi? ROFL!

We like having it with our tofu & veggie stir fries. Michaela likes to have a bit too.

Well, now that you know what it is, you may find this amusing:

Comment by Steven Pam — March 20, 2009 @ 11:27 pm

10. I had a cracker covered in the stuff about 2 inches from my mouth in a restaurant in Dubai a few years ago. I thought it was some kind of cheese or vegetable spread. Luckily from me a guy three tables away yelled out a warning.

Avoiding the heat was well worth the attention brought by the guy’s help! ;)

Comment by Jim — May 12, 2009 @ 3:34 pm

11. Back in the late 60’s I went with some relatives in LA to a Sushi bar and tried a lot of stuff. The last thing I tried was a square of wasabi. Yep, put the whole thing in my mouth. Within seconds I was in the bathroom with my head in the sink and my mouth wrapped around the cold water faucet on full blast. I am almost certain I was blind for several minutes and I know that my butt erupted into flames several hours later. I am also quite sure that I now know what radioactive isotopes do in your system. I could track that crap from intake to expulsion and EXPULSION is the correct term. I am quite convinced that I did in fact chip and crack some porcelain.

Comment by Jim Griggs — June 2, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

12. @Jim – That is hilarious! I love your detailed and, er, creative narrative. That’s enough to keep anyone away from wasabi!

Comment by Kirsten Uhler — June 4, 2009 @ 6:26 pm